What did we as tax practitioners collectively learn about the massive changes enacted in the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act during our last tax season, and what questions and unresolved issues do we still face? In this program, a panel of tax practitioners discusses these topics. You will learn how taxpayers resolved thorny issues involving the Section 199A deduction, how our panelists dealt with the limitation on interest under Section 163(j), and how the new loss limitation provision interacts with the at-risk and passive loss limitations. This is the after-action report you need to deal with the complex tax returns you put on extension!
- Specified service trade or business (SSTB)
- Rental properties: triple-net, safe harbor
- Meals vs. entertainment
- 163(j) limitation: Are we a syndicate?
- Should I invest in an opportunity zone?
- Parking tax
- Tracking negative capital accounts/basis
- Limitation on NOLs
- Three-year holding period for carried interest property
- Understand the post-Tax Cuts and Jobs Act tax landscape
- Prepare complex tax returns currently on extension
Any tax practitioner who will prepare tax returns for 2018 currently on extension and any tax practitioner who will prepare 2019 income tax returns
Basic individual income taxation rules