Because IRS audits of small- and medium-size businesses and their owners are on the increase, tax advisors should be prepared to deal with IRS auditors from a position of knowledge and strength. This program will better prepare you to know what to do when your clients get audited. Whether the initial IRS contact starts as a document match, a correspondence, office or field examination, you will be better prepared to know what to do, and when to do it, in terms of how to deal with the IRS. The purpose of this program is to lay out how you should react once your client has been given notice of audit by IRS and to lay out a roadmap for dealing with the IRS as the audit proceeds. What do you do in terms of ongoing contact with the IRS, what to say and not to say when speaking with auditors, when offers to settle work, and how to get to an offer the IRS will accept? When can you handle the case yourself; when do you need someone to assist you who does IRS controversy work full-time? What do you do when you do not agree with IRS-proposed adjustments?
- IRS audit targets—who the IRS audits and why
- The process, techniques and procedures involved in handling all aspects of an IRS audit
- IRS auditors: how to deal with them and what to say and not say
- What is involved in going to Appeals, and when does going to Appeals make economic sense?
- Alternative Dispute Resolution
- Ins and outs of installment agreements
- Update on offers in compromise
- Does litigating a case ever make sense?
- Determine why your client might be a target for an IRS audit
- How to handle all aspects of an IRS audit
- Understand Appeals, installment agreements, alternative dispute resolution and offers in compromise
Any tax practitioner who is now representing a client under IRS audit or who anticipates representing an individual or a business in an IRS audit; any tax practitioner who will counsel a client about taking risky or questionable positions on a tax return;
A basic understanding of the federal tax rules relating to individuals and businesses