While risk assessment and planning lay the foundation for IA engagement programs, it is the effective execution of the program that ultimately determines the success of the IA activity in serving and adding value to its stakeholders. The results of IA engagements are derived from the critical fieldwork processes initiated and completed by audit teams and the underlying documentation developed, gathered, and maintained in support thereof.
Internal Auditors must possess sound technical, analytical, organizational, and communication skills to effectively discharge their duties as key relied-upon assurance professionals for organizations. This course provides an in-depth conceptual and practical application bridge linking crucial fieldwork fundamentals with workpaper preparation and documentation essentials in promotion and development of these vital skill areas for IAs.
- Fieldwork fundamentals, including a discussion of the following:
- Types and nature of fieldwork
- Technical skills development
- Compliance testing of internal controls
- Substantive testing of accounts/balances
- IT/Cyber Security control reviews/testing
- Audit sampling fundamentals: Statistical/Non-Statistical
- Audit evidence and evidence gathering techniques
- Analytical/problem-solving skills development: Identification and analysis of control deficiencies/issues
- Time management, organization, and communication skills development
- Workpaper preparation and documentation basics, including best practice techniques, and workpaper self-review
- Clarify the major types and nature of IA fieldwork and the reliance expectations of stakeholders thereto
- Expand knowledge of core audit fieldwork concepts and practical application skills development
- Strengthen foundational IA technical, analytical, organizational, and communication skills required on the job
- Apply effective workpaper preparation and self-review techniques
- Identify opportunities for enhancing workpaper/documentation effectiveness and efficiencies
Internal audit (IA) professionals at all levels, including consultants providing IA outsourcing, co-sourcing and/or related services and external auditors providing IA services and/or who coordinate coverage with and place reliance on the work of IAs.
Experience/interest in or general knowledge of internal auditing