The course provides a comprehensive hands-on, pencil pushing understanding of the preparation of both S corporation and partnership/LLC tax returns, along with the underlying laws, regulations, etc. The course and instruction delivery is geared toward the basic understanding and progresses to complex issues. The boot camp allows staff to discover the connections and alterations of these widely held entity structures, while also providing a valued reference for the participant's future use. The course utilizes an identical sample trial balance for participants to prepare tax forms, with filled-in completed Forms 1120S and 1065 provided in the case solutions.
- Gain a comprehensive understanding of income tax laws for S corporations from eligibility and election, to tax return preparation, stock basis, and loss limitation issues
- Recognize and properly handle special pass-through items of income and expense
- Accurately prepare S corporation returns and reconcile book income to taxable income
- Accurately prepare partnership returns and reconcile book income to taxable income
- Properly handle the tax treatment of distributions to shareholders, partners, or members
- Review the basics of partnership and LLC formation and basis calculation
- Self-employment tax or NOT, for each entity
- Filling in K-1s correctly for S corporations, partnerships, and LLCs
- The most frequently used forms and schedules, including some form "oddities"
- Compare and contrast the tax consequences, opportunities, and pitfalls of operating a business as a partnership, LLC, or S corporation
- Recent changes to Forms 1120S and Form 1065
- Learn in detail about the preparation of Form 1120S, Schedules M-1, K, and K-1
- Learn in detail about the preparation of Form 1065, Schedules M-1, K, and K-1
- Identify and handle commonly found S corporation and partnership tax issues
All levels of staff and company controllers responsible for filing these forms