In this interview session, Jack Surgent speaks with Jon Larsen, Special Agent in Charge of the IRS Criminal Investigations Unit (IRS-CI), New Jersey office, about the work of the unit and the ways in which it affects CPAs and their clients. Learn when the Criminal Investigations Unit gets involved in a matter and how the investigation might interact with or extend to a CPA. You’ll hear about current and evolving criminal threats, the growing involvement of organized crime in identity and cyber theft, and the prevalence of offshore perpetrators in activity targeting CPA firms. This is a unique opportunity to get a firsthand perspective on the work of an office that most CPAs hope never to have business with, and the ways in which it seeks to protect the public interest.
- The differing scope of the IRS’s Civil and Criminal Investigations Units
- The mission and priorities of the Criminal Investigations Unit
- How criminal cases originate and are prosecuted
- How cases can extend to CPAs
- Common frauds and schemes
- Understand the mission and work of the IRS-CI and the ways in which it intersects with the audit and civil investigations process
- Be able to identify a few key steps practitioners can take in specific circumstances to protect themselves and their clients